Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Holiday Door Decor

How to make a holiday door décor out of things you have. That's what I did today, and I had A LOT of trial and error. I ended up with something that I really like, so it was all worth it!! And, now you will know what to do and what not to do if making something similar.
I started with these materials:
I cut some branches off the bottom of our Christmas tree, and had some leftover ribbon and ornaments after decorating our tree.

First, I got an idea of what to do. I started playing around with the branches and decided on doing a bouquet of branches.

I tied the branches together with some hemp that I had lying around. 

Then, wrapped them with burlap to cover up the hemp. 
I thought it was perfect! I took it up to put on my front door and had some issues. It was extremely top heavy and would not hang right. I tried tying some suede rope I have to the burlap and hang from that.


Unfortunately, that did not work, the whole thing still tilted really far to the front. I tried tying some ribbon to the front of it to counter balance.


I did not like how that looked and it was not very sturdy either. This was the point that I decided it was not going to work like this and I needed to change it completely. I took some time to brainstorm. After thinking about what materials I had, I decided to still do something similar but I needed something to stabilize the branches. I had some packing paper I saved from a recent package.
I thought this would work! So, I super glued the branches to the paper like so:


I kept gluing until it got as full as I wanted it. Then, wrapped the paper around like you would with a bouquet and tied the bottom with burlap. This is what I had: 

 I really liked the look of the brown paper with it!

 I hung it on my front door using a command hook and taped the sides with painters tape (as hanging on the hook was not secure enough) and once again this is what it looks like:

 I'm really happy with how it came out especially after everything that went wrong! I can even hang ornaments on it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment