Friday, December 4, 2015

How to Attach Hanging Wire to Canvas

Attaching hanging wire to the back of a gallery wrapped painting is a simple task. I was intimidated at first but quickly realized how simple it is.

My boyfriend, Chris, and I ordered this gallery wrapped print from Etsy. We love it! However, it did not come with hanging wire or hardware to hang it.


Wait, that's not right... Here it is:


It reminds me of our three dogs.

Here are the materials I thought I was going to use:
(I ended up not needing the electric screwdriver- used a regular one instead) The other materials in the pictures below are wire cutters and the hanging kit.



First, I looked around the house at a few other pieces of artwork we have with hanging wire and measured how far down from the top the screw was placed. I noticed that they were all generally placed 1/3 of the way down. So, I measured the length of this print, divided that by 3 and marked that spot with a sharpie so I would know where to screw the hardware in.


I had to cut some of the canvas to make space for the screw.


Next, it was time to get the screw in. The wood was much softer than I thought it would be, that's why I decided against the electric screwdriver and went manual. I turned the screw in a little without the hardware then removed it, put the hardware on and screwed it in entirely.



I did the same on the other side.

Now it was time for the wire. I unwrapped a good bit of the wire to see what I was working with.


Then, I wrapped one end through the hardware on the left side and followed directions on the box on how to secure the wire.



Then, I pulled the wire to the other side, leaving some give but not too much, tied it and cut it with my wire cutters (which I love using!).


And that was it!! Told you it was simple! The wire hanging kit cost us $5.

Lastly, it was time to hang. Chris and I have been using Hercules hooks/Monkey hooks to hang pretty much everything in our house. They are used on drywall and you can hang really heavy stuff on them and they do not pull out of the drywall. Plus, they leave a much smaller hole than a drywall screw. This is what they look like.


And this is that same hook in the wall.


Once, I got the hook in, it was ready to hang the print! Here it is.



I'm so happy with how it looks!!



This is the artist if anyone is interested in getting some farm animal prints on canvas to hang in their house!

No comments:

Post a Comment